Personal Report of Public Speaking Anxiety
(PRPSA)
Assignment Goals:
- To collect relevant
data regarding your perceptions of your communication anxiety in public
address
- To analyze the data
objectively
- To create a specific
set of behavior changes designed to increase your effectiveness as a
public speaker
You will complete the PRPSA scale and analyze the data.
You will write the following report for yourself to analyze:
1) Briefly describe experience as a public speaker. Where and when have you delivered public
speeches? What were the purposes of the speeches (informative, persuasive,
ceremonial). How you performed (100-125 words)
2) Summarize the results of the PRPSA scale; identify and explain
at least one and no more than three areas you feel need improvement.
3) Write a tentative plan for improving each of the items you
identified. Explain why you think they
are important; describe your present behavior that you think is not "effective";
explain how you will
modify that behavior; explain how you will know when you have succeeded in
becoming more competent in that area. Use at least three concepts from Stand
Up! Speak Out!, or Survey
of Communication Study
Personal Report of
Public Speaking Anxiety (PRPSA)
This is an excellent
measure for research which centers on public speaking anxiety.
Directions:
Below are 34 statements that people sometimes make about themselves. Please
indicate whether or not you believe each statement applies to you by marking
whether you:
Strongly Disagree =
1; Disagree = 2; Neutral = 3; Agree = 4; Strongly Agree = 5.
_____1. While
preparing for giving a speech, I feel tense and nervous.
_____2. I feel tense when I see
the words “speech” and “public speech” on a course outline when studying.
_____3. My thoughts
become confused and jumbled when I am giving a speech.
_____4. Right after
giving a speech I feel that I have had a pleasant experience.
_____5. I get anxious
when I think about a speech coming up.
_____6. I have no
fear of giving a speech.
_____7. Although I am nervous just
before starting a speech, I soon settle down after starting and feel calm and
comfortable.
_____8. I look
forward to giving a speech.
_____9. When the instructor announces a
speaking assignment in class, I can feel myself getting tense.
_____10. My hands tremble when I am
giving a speech.
_____11. I feel
relaxed while giving a speech.
_____12. I enjoy
preparing for a speech.
_____13. I am in
constant fear of forgetting what I prepared to say.
_____14. I get
anxious if someone asks me something about my topic that I don’t know.
_____15. I face the
prospect of giving a speech with confidence.
_____16. I feel that
I am in complete possession of myself while giving a speech.
_____17. My mind is clear when giving a
speech.
_____18. I do not
dread giving a speech.
_____19. I perspire just
before starting a speech.
_____20. My heart
beats very fast just as I start a speech.
_____21. I experience considerable
anxiety while sitting in the room just before my speech starts.
_____22. Certain
parts of my body feel very tense and rigid while giving a speech.
_____23. Realizing
that only a little time remains in a speech makes me very tense and anxious.
_____24. While giving
a speech, I know I can control my feelings of tension and stress.
_____25. I breathe
faster just before starting a speech.
_____26. I feel
comfortable and relaxed in the hour or so just before giving a speech.
_____27. I do poorer
on speeches because I am anxious.
_____28. I feel
anxious when the teacher announces the date of a speaking assignment.
_____29. When I make a mistake while
giving a speech, I find it hard to concentrate on the parts that follow.
_____30. During an important speech I
experience a feeling of helplessness building up inside me.
_____31. I have
trouble falling asleep the night before a speech.
_____32.My heart
beats very fast while I present a speech.
_____33. I feel
anxious while waiting to give my speech.
_____34. While giving
a speech, I get so nervous I forget facts I really know.
Scoring: To determine your
score on the PRPSA, complete the following steps:
Step 1.
Add scores for items 1, 2, 3, 5, 9, 10,
13, 14, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 25, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, and 34
Step 2. Add the scores for items 4, 6,
7, 8, 11, 12, 15, 16, 17, 18, 24, and 26
Step 3. Complete the following formula:
PRPSA = 72 minus (Total from Step 2) plus (Total from
Step 1)
Your score should be between 34 and
170. If your score is below 34 or above 170, you have made a mistake in
computing the score.
McCroskey, J. C. (1970) . Measures of
communication-bound anxiety. Speech Monographs,
37, 269-277.
Interpreting
Your PRPSA Score
Scores above 131 indicate High
Anxiety
Scores between 98 and 131 indicate Moderate Anxiety
Scores below 98 indicate Low Anxiety
The National Average (Mean) for the PRPSA is 114.6 with a standard deviation of 17.2.
Scores between 98 and 131 indicate Moderate Anxiety
Scores below 98 indicate Low Anxiety
The National Average (Mean) for the PRPSA is 114.6 with a standard deviation of 17.2.
What does this mean? More recent studies have defined PRPSA scores of 111-119 as “moderately high anxiety” and scores of 120-170 as “very high anxiety.” Note, however, that the USA National Average on the measure is in the moderately high anxiety group! Most people have anxiety about speaking in public. Anxiety is typically understood as a physiological response. We can’t make it go away, but we can help it work for you instead of against you.
No comments:
Post a Comment